December 2006               


            One of the first things we needed to do this month was get the carpet shampooed.  It is a 2 day job for us, we do half of the rig at a time, moving all the furniture to one area and cleaning the empty space, then moving all the furniture to the clean area and cleaning the remaining carpet.  After we did this each day, we went to Ann’s and worked on rearranging her furniture.  We also got pictures and curtains hung.  Now it is beginning to look more like home for her.

            After things in the rig were put back to order, we headed to the storage unit and picked up our Christmas tree and décor.  While Millie worked on getting the tree up and decorated, Dick spent some time at Dualco working.  After our decorations were up, we had Ann’s to do.  When she moved, her things were taken to Mary’s storage unit, so we met Mary and Frank there and picked the decorations up.  Millie got the tree assembled and we discovered that the ornaments were missing.  Several phone calls and a trip to Mary’s storage unit later, the ornaments were still awol.  Ann did have a box of handmade ornaments that she used on the tree. 

            One day Millie and Ann went out to do some errands and have lunch.  They stopped at Michael’s craft store and all the holiday décor was on sale so Ann purchased some new ornaments for her tree.  A few days later, Mary called and her friend, Rosemary had sent a package for Ann containing some beautiful ornaments.  We were so thankful to her for thinking of Ann, especially since Rosemary and her family had lost everything this past year in a fire that destroyed their home. 

            We made a couple of trips to Livingston for appointments with our new doctor and for Millie to have a bone density scan done.  Next year we will stop there on our way into Houston and take care of these things before coming here.

            We attended the annual get-together of the Past Presidents of the Houston Square and Round Dance Council on a Sunday afternoon.  It was a covered dish affair with lots of good food to enjoy.  We had games and singing of Christmas carols.  It was good to see old friends and meet new ones. 

            Our friend Phyllis Davis and the new man in her life, Dave Heaton were in Victoria visiting with Phyllis’s son, wife and new baby.  As we haven’t seen Phyllis for over a year, we made arrangements to meet her and Dave in El Campo, Texas on day for a visit.  We spent several hours visiting and having a great BBQ lunch.   They were heading to Alabama to spend Christmas with Phyllis’s girls and their families before heading back north. 

            We made arrangements to have dinner one evening with our friends Will and Ann Devaney.  We missed seeing them last year and had a lot of catching up to do.  We had a great dinner at Texas Land and Cattle Co.   

            Millie managed to pick up an upper respiratory virus that was making the rounds and seemed to have some problem shaking it.  Dave and Nancy Croasmun, who are RV friends, pulled into the park the Monday before Christmas and we spent a few minutes catching up while they were getting settled.  We told them we would get together before they left for Yuma, AZ the day after Christmas.  Sadly, we didn’t get to do this as Millie wasn’t up to it . 

            Mary hosted the Christmas Eve family gathering at her home.  It was good to get to see everyone, especially our daughter Debbie, her husband Russell and our grands – Russell, Jr., Chad and Rikki.  They came in from New Orleans on Christmas Eve day and left to go back on Christmas Day. 

            Our nephew, Michael Forbis and his fiancée, Christine also came in from Waco and surprised everyone.  It was good to see him after several years.

            Christmas Day we had dinner with Ann, Mary and Frank at Mary’s.  It was a quiet day and we all enjoyed it.  We didn’t even do a lot of cooking.  Dick and Millie got most of the dinner pre-prepared at Randall’s and we just heated it up and sat down.  It was so nice to have a relaxed meal that no one had to spend a lot of time preparing. 

            On the 29th we hitched up (in the rain) and drove east to Smith Point, TX for our Traveling Supremes New Years Rally.  The rally was held at Spoonbill RV Park which is on a point of land between Trinity Bay and Galveston Bay.  It is a nice park, with large paved sites.  We had almost 30 rigs for this rally. 

            On Friday night, our rally hosts, Jack and Linda Bruce, Mike and Christine Bruce and Jessica and BJ Lacour prepared a wonderful BBQ dinner.  We were under severe storm warnings and about 10 that night the wind really picked up.  It is the first time we have ever felt uncomfortable in our rig with the wind.  It was really rather scary.

            Saturday was a beautiful day, the wind subsided and the sun was out.  In the afternoon Millie learned to play Skip-Bo with some of the ladies.  Around 4 we were treated to an oyster feed by our hosts.  Later in the evening we had an ice cream social. 

            Sunday, New Years Eve, was a quiet day.  We all gathered at the club house late in the afternoon for a group photo.  It had turned cold and windy so we were glad to finally get inside. 

            Our hosts had decorated the club house and everyone brought light snacks to share.  We managed to clean the plates really fast.  So much good food!   After eating, we had a white elephant exchange.  We played games and late in the evening a champagne breakfast was served.  It was a great way to end the year 2006.